This sort of article only works if there is some sense of accountability. With that said this is how we are doing so far in 2017:
- Last week: 4-2
- Misses: Florida (lost by 1) and Arkansas (lost by many).
- Closest prediction: Perfect again. Auburn by 21. They won 44-23.
- Worst prediction: Arkansas by 3. They lost by 26.
- Season so far: 38-20
Here are the SEC games for Week 7 of the season:
Saturday, October 14
Mississippi State vs. BYU – The Bulldogs probably need this break from SEC play after being shelled by Georgia and Auburn over the last two weeks by a combined score of 80-13. BYU is usually a good team, but in 2017 their only win was a 20-6 snoozer over Portland State to open the season. Since that game the Cougars have lost five in a row and have looked bad while doing so. The loser here may struggle to find bowl eligibility. Prediction: Mississippi State by 20.
Tennessee vs. South Carolina – Tennessee needs this win to get their season back on track. The problem is that they face a South Carolina squad that is as good as any team in the country at not beating themselves. Giving away just six penalties in the last three games (South Carolina) is very impressive and Will Muschamp has a quarterback in Jake Bentley who is solid enough to make the plays the Gamecocks will need here. Prediction: South Carolina by 11.
LSU vs. (10) Auburn – Auburn is just cruising along and ripping through all the teams they should have over the last three weeks. Running back Kerryon Johnson has been out of this world good – scoring 11 times over that span – and the offense has used this stretch to figure out exactly what it needs to do to beat the best teams in the country. If the LSU defense can play to its talent level (as it started to do last week against Florida) then this one could get very interesting. Prediction: Auburn by 7.
Ole Miss vs. Vanderbilt – The Commodores need a win as badly as any team in the SEC. After stopping Kansas State’s high powered offense cold, the ‘Dores laid eggs against Alabama, Florida, and Georgia in consecutive weeks. This is still a team that has lots of talent, but they are in danger of missing a bowl game if they can’t find a win soon. The Rebels have fallen off after a fast start and they need quarterback Shea Patterson to find his form in a hurry. Prediction: Vandy by 7.
Florida vs. Texas A&M – The Aggies played as well against Alabama as any SEC team has done this season in their loss to the Crimson Tide in College Station last Saturday. If they can take that form into Gainesville then it will be a long game for a Florida team that still has so many questions offensively. A&M has an outstanding pass rush, so the newly minted Gators running game will need to be on point if they are to take this one. Prediction: Texas A&M by 10.
(1) Alabama vs. Arkansas – Alabama struggled a little last week against Texas A&M. The reason for that is that the Aggies are better than everyone thinks (their pass rush is outstanding) and now the Crimson Tide gets to recoup against an Arkansas team that isn’t nearly as talented. Arkansas has quarterback issues – starter Austin Allen has a banged up shoulder – and Alabama seems to have found it’s formerly MIA pass rush over the last couple of weeks. This one won’t be close. Prediction: Alabama by 28.
(4) Georgia vs. Missouri – This is 6-0 taking on 1-4 with the undefeated squad getting to play at home in Athens. Missouri has been brutal in 2017 and the Bulldogs just need to get through this with no injuries and move on to bigger and better opponents down the road. If the Mizzou offense finally wakes up (they hit Kentucky with 34 points last week) they could score some points here, but their defense has been just horrific. Prediction: Georgia by 21.